Monday, July 5, 2010

I shot the sherriff.

I have been doing a lot of research on the subject of vaccines. Nick and I have had a few discussions on the subject and have decided tha we will going down the delayed vaccination route hence this blog.

CDC Guidlines

KY Vaccination Regulations

This is Dr. Sear's alternative vaccination plan recommendation

2 months: DTaP, Rotavirus

3 months*: Pc, HIB

4 months: DTaP, Rotavirus

5 months*: Pc, HIB

6 months: DTaP, Rotavirus

7 months*: Pc, HIB

9 months: Polio

12 months: Mumps, Polio

15 months: Pc, HIB

18 months: DTaP, Chickenpox

2 years: Rubella, Polio

2 1/2 years*: Hep B, Hep A (start Hep B at birth if any close relatives or caregivers have Hep B)

3 years: Hep B, Measles

3 1/2 years*: Hep B, Hep A

4 years: DTaP, Polio

5 years: MMR

6 years: Chickenpox

12 years: Tdap, HPV

12 years, 2 months*: HPV

13 years: HPV, Meningococcal (once Meningococcal vaccine is approved for age 2, Dr. Sears will move it there and delay Hep B by 6 months

We do like the above alternative plan, however, after some further research this will be the plan Nick and I will be discussing with the pediatricians we will be interviewing:

No more than 1 aluminum containing vax per appointment.

Hep B (Delay until the year before starting school, although we may consider starting the series as early as 3 if we are considering preschool early)

Rotavirus-I don't want my child to be a guinea pig for the newest version when the oldest got pulled from the market b/c of complications so we will be skipping this little baby all together.

4 mo, 6 mo, 8 mo, 17 mo

4 mo, 6 mo, 8 mo, 17 mo (booster at 4 years)

5 mo, 7 mo, 9 mo, 15 or 18 mo (booster at 4 years)

Pneumococcal (PREVNAR)one dose at age 2

Varicela (Varivax)
Age four-if at all

The MMR plan looked a bit like this...
Mumps – 15 mo
Rubella – 27 mo
Measles – 39 mo
Booster – age 5
Until I found this

*The MMR vaccines are no longer split up into 3 different shots. How my heart bleeds for Merck! We have chosen to wait until Brigglsey is over 3 to get the MMR shot.However, if there is an outbreak in my area of any of the 3 diseases, We will consider vaccinating immediately. Hopefully Merck will get their crap together before she is 3 and we can start the split up plan!!

I like the plan. She will get everything that is needed and her system won't get overloaded.

Just as a side note-I know we have 12 years until the HPV shot is recommended and that means 12 years for God only knows what to happen and what type of regulations to be put on this vaccine, but we are strongly against this vaccine as well as other new vaccines.

So there we have it folks-an alternative vaccination plan that we feel will be the best for our daughter...sure hope the pediatricians agree!

Anyone else planning on an alternative plan? Do share your findings!!!



studentrntiffany said...

We are still looking into a delayed vaccination schedule. I used to work in peds and have kinda talked with many doctors about their beliefs. So I may be "just winging it".

MJ said...

I read this and couldn't help but think how differently we all approach preparing for a baby. I hadn't even thought about vaccines... I think you just gave me a new homework assignment!!

More power to you for all the research you have done.

Tiffany said...

I have thought about this but haven't researched much yet. Which books/websites did you find helpful?

Ameya said...

If we weren't moving out of the country we would have done the delayed vax schedule! We tried to delay them a little bit but the pedeatrician literally could not comprehend what we were saying or why we wanted to space them and she ended up messing up the schedule, and the nurses at the health department we went to for make up shots were SO RUDE and told us basically that we were ignorant idiots for even thinking about questioning the almighty doctors. Oh it makes me so mad! How dare I think it's STUPID to give a tiny infant SIX VACCINATIONS IN TWO MINUTES?! >_<


That Mama Gretchen said...

I'm reading Dr. Sears book right now! Just blogged about this whole plan/dilemma as we aren't fully decided yet.

The Danish Vaccine schedule is worth checking out too.